Thursday, July 9, 2009

July 3, 2009, Kyudo
















July 3, 2009

Kyudo
Today I went to Iai High/Middle School. Iai a very prestigious, expensive, all girls school that actually looks like a college campus. At the entrance there are red bricks, black gates, and an old security guard that stands in front of the school all day long. It’s like huge campus, lush with greenery and cobble stones.

In the afternoon the students participate in different activities. I have never seen soft Tennis before. Do we even have that in America? The girls play on a dirt field with really soft balls and racquets that look smaller than tennis racquets. It actually looks harder to play than regular tennis because the balls don’t really bounce. Why do they play such a sport?

Today I did some Kyudo for the first time in my life. It was a trial class. I have never done archery ever. Kyudo was fun! I think I like it better than Judo or Kendo. Although I wish I had the time to do them all. We use a bow, called “Yumi,” and the arrow is called “Ya.” The target is called “mato.” You shoot your arrow through a window indoors. From this window, the arrow flies outdoors, above the grass to the mato. There’s this whole routine you must follow, slight bowing and specific footing, before you even raise the bow and arrow to shoot. The sensei teaches you how to hold the arrow and the different short poses you must follow through before you extend all the way and shoot. There are names for each of these poses, of which I have forgotten.

So, everyone got one shot, but in the end, I sneaked in one more. For my first shot, my arrow skipped along the dirt right in front of the target, then shot up and hit the target. Then the target fell over. But, hey! I actually hit the target. It surprised me! I felt slightly accomplished. For my second shot I was way over the target, and hit the wooden roof, but I was still happy nonetheless. When the trial time was over, the sensei told me good job. My friend, who was waiting for some praise after me, thinking the sensei was going to praise everyone one by one, was surprised to not receive any. Was it because he is a guy, and this is traditionally a women’s sport? Or did the sensei just like me? Did the sensei notice my sexy, toned arms and said it to make me come back? (j/k) Who knows?!

The sport seems very serene and peaceful to me. The weather was beautiful today and I guess that had made me feel amazing already. But after Kyudo, as I walked away towards home, I felt satisfied and at peace for a moment. For a few minutes, I felt like I actually belonged, like this place was somewhere I can possibly call home. When I first came to Hakodate, I was excited to be in a new place, but never actually felt comfortable. And so today is the first time I actually felt at peace here. Although, now the feeling is difficult to recall, and I cannot bring myself to fully feel what I did only a few hours ago, I am happy that I was able to experience that one rare moment. Although it might have lasted but a few minutes, possibly a few seconds, I look forward to feeling it again. Euphoria would be too strong a word for the sensation I experienced, yet maybe it was mere solace.

7 comments:

  1. You shoot it from INSIDE the room?!
    woooah
    I'm glad you liked it. You sound really happy in this post.
    Will you go back and do that sport again? Do they give you that option?

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go at least once a week. Usually twice! I can go as often as I like. And yes, you shoot from inside the room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soft tennis got popular because some western missionary introduced it right around japan was modernizing. So I guess it became a part of that culture...and then japan put it in south korea and philliphines during the ...wars.


    I commented because you should keep doing these blog posts, they're entertaining and well written. Just because you see a lack of comments doesnt mean people dont care.


    -Khaled

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. thanks for the inspiration khaled. seriously.

    i didn't even know you were reading, so it's nice to hear from ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! These pictures are AMAZING! I'm sorry I don't comment constantly, but I just want you to know that I do read it all and it's all such incredible information.

    Keep on writing girl! Take care! Miss you roomie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) miss u too roomie!

    im glad u read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He told me that when he thought Iwas ready he was going to bring one of his friends over and thatI was to service both of them at once. ``I know you know what happened this evening, he said.
    tamil animal sex stories
    free kinky sex stories
    sexy mom son stories
    free incest stories with pictures
    post your sex stories
    He told me that when he thought Iwas ready he was going to bring one of his friends over and thatI was to service both of them at once. ``I know you know what happened this evening, he said.

    ReplyDelete