Thursday, July 2, 2009

My Japanese Room.
















Mai requested to see my room:

Here are some pictures of my room in my host family's house in Japan. They have an old style, traditional house (more pics of the house itself later). My floor is made of tatami mat. I kind of like just laying down on the tatami mat. It feels nice.

The window shades are made with rice paper over a wooden frame. They really don't prevent any light from coming in, and I swear the sun rises at 3am every morning. I once woke up at 4am and could have sworn it was 9am and was so scared because I thought I was late to school. It was hard getting used to bright sunshine for the first few weeks, and even now I still have some problems sleeping through it.

I have a scroll hanging with something to the effect of "the beautiful feeling of Spring" (of course not literally) written on it in Japanese calligraphy. In front of the scroll is a jade object. And some pink flowers. The flowers smell nice and they last for a month or so without even watering them.

I sleep on a futon. Actually 2 futons. I stacked them on top of eachother, and even though its the Summer, I sleep with 3 covers because it's pretty cold at night in Hakodate, Hokkaido.

Well, I hope you enjoy the pics.










7 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! I am so happy I finally figured out how to post a comment. I have been reading your blog on a regular basis and absoluely LOVE all the stuff you have written. Keep us updated!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. なんてきれいな和室よ!

    ふとんが大好き

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. psis...im so jealous
    its beautiful

    can i come over and sleep on your futon with you? i'll keep you warm ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your room. Its simple, and unique. Nice scroll, bring it back to the US, please?. So im spending my early monday morning catching up on your blog, been a tad bit busy with school, u know the usual, failing midterms left and right, what can i say i just have a gift for it. LOL. Your room looks simple. How are you adjusting to life there? Has the culture hit you yet? In love with Japan yet? I hope you haven't answered any of these questions before, lol.

    So, I've been meaning to ask you, hows the food there? Is it what you expected? Whats there take on food there? Hope your doing well buddy, enjoy yourself, live life and I miss you so much.


    Jelo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I didn't know Hokkaido was far enough north to have such long days in the summer (like Alaska).
    Does the sun set really late at night, too?

    HUGS


    へやが好きです。^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. the sun sets around 7pm? but rises sooo early. like 3am.

    im in the southern part of hokkaido, but at the end of the summer, i plan to travel to the northern most part

    ReplyDelete