Monday, November 16, 2009

October 26, 2009, Monday: Hello 88 Temples of Shikoku!



























































































































In the three hour bus ride to Tokushima, Shikoku from Kyoto (from my journal that I wrote it as I travelled):


10/26/09-12:02pm

The bus makes a stop for a 5 minute rest. There is nothing but ocean to the right. As the typhoon completes its course, the sky is a peach color—almost as if it is sun rise. The ocean reflects this welcoming sky with a misty pink. The slopes of the surrounding mountains are intricate yet beautiful and as the remaining mist floats above the mountain peaks I feel at peace.


10/26/09-roughly 1:00pm

Walked from Temple 1-3. It took about 2 hours in all. I took a train from the big city of Tokushima to the bandou train station and Temple 1 was very close by. I bought my gear and it all felt like a rush. The experience was a blur, beauty I took for granted because I was eager to get to Temple 4 or 5. I forgot temples close at 5:00pm and they prefer if no one came after 4:30pm. Yep, that’s the country all right for you. Next time I won’t let that stop me from going from temple to temple. I don’t need the stamp/signature of the priest to prove my worth (“trophy”) of the temple, I am here for the experience.

Walking through 1-3 was all highway and thru quiet neighborhoods that were populated with old fashioned houses that at most had a second floor. There were such few people and it was so quiet that I thought I was walking through a ghost town. I have decided to enjoy my trip rather than rush from temple to temple trying to get the “trophy.” I need to soak in the atmosphere and what good would rushing do if I am unable to accomplish just that?

As I packed up my henro wear (the outfit worn during the pilgrimage) in my backpack, tomorrow I will be a plain tourist.

1 comment: